Areas of work
Most of the Network so far is composed by volunteers from the different NGOs partners, named focal points for BVMN. In the daily activities, they work in different teams which reflect the working areas of the Network:
- A reporting team: composed by focal points/reporters located in key geographical areas along the Balkan and Greek route. The team collects individual testimonies on pushbacks through the submission of a questionnaires to migrants who claimed to have experienced a pushback.
- An advocacy team: works to raise the attention of European parliamentarians, the Council of Europe and other key institutions on the chain of pushbacks along the Balkan and Greek route. The team participates in policy meetings at European and national levels, builds strategic alliances with NGOs and works with the objective to promote a human rights perspective in the policy discussions on border management and border control.
- A social-media/web team: in charge of managing BVMN information on social media, website and mailing lists.
- A finance & grants team: dedicates its efforts to the administrative tasks and works to make the Network sustainable in the long term run.
BVMN decision making
The decisions within the Network are taken through:
- a General Coordination team is the final decision making body, and uses consensus as a means of mediation. When decisions have a broader impact than day-to-day operations, they are referred to the wider Network of participants.
- the Open Assembly, a shared platform for the members of the Network to meet and discuss the targets and the implementation of the project. This space is the channel of communication between the grassroots organizations and the General Coordination.