Jobs, internships & volunteering
The Border Violence Monitoring Network depends on the work of volunteers and supporters. We offer internships & volunteering, both in the field of documentation of human rights violations in the Balkan region, as well as in legal and advocacy work. This page provides information on the volunteering oppertunities available within the network and also current job vacancies that are open.
Open job positions
We are looking for an Accounting and Administrative Coordinator who is going to lead our accountant team managing the financial flow of the Network from January 2022. The person is going to be part of a young network and in particular will join a dynamic fundraising and finance team who will support them in all tasks. The employment is handled through the legal entity of the German association Rigardu e.V. The offer is a remote position for 24 hours of work per week, with great flexibility in working hours. Fluent written communication in German and English is required. Contract, salary and fringe benefits will all be discussed in the interview.
Deadline for applications: 10th December 2021 (midnight CET)
Join the Research and Investigations team as a volunteer
During the past years many volunteers and members of Border Violence Monitoring Network engaged in research relevant to human rights violations in the external borders of the EU and the Balkan states, including but not limited to the use of equipment by security forces, the exclusion and detention apparatus, audiovisual analysis of pushback footage, and supporting the working groups of Advocacy and Legal matters in further expanding their understanding and reporting on the issues at hand. Currently BVMN and its member organizations are involved in a diverse variety of projects and is inviting individuals that are already part of its member organizations but also those out there in the world that would like to get involved in our work! Please fill in the form to apply.
Join the legal team as a volunteer
BVMN’s legal team is searching for volunteers with a background in law or with previous experience in legal work or legal advocacy for a minimum period of 3 months. The work will be mostly remote, but in specific circumstances, the volunteer may be placed with a member organization in the region.
- Undertake field and theory-based legal research;
- Draft legal briefs, submissions, and other types of communications;
- Contribute to shaping the legal advocacy work of the Network;
- Ensure that witnesses and survivors are treated with the highest levels of care and professionalism at all times;
- Attend internal coordination meetings and external meetings with relevant stakeholders;
- Maintain regular check-ins with the rest of the team;
- Ensure the confidentiality of all information.
Join the field team as a volunteer
The tasks within the internship depend on the current situation, your skillset and your interest. Possible tasks could be:
- Collect on-site (Serbia, Bosnia, Croatia, Slovenia, Greece, …) reports of human rights violations against people on the move by conducting interviews with victims and witnesses
- Database maintenance (editing of case reports)
- Communication with local organisations, networking with new potential partners
- Supervision of volunteers who collect reports on site
- writing inquiries, summary reports and statements for politicians and other NGOs
- Communication with the press
- Social media channel management
- IT background work, web design, illustrative work
- Fundraising work, submission of grant applications
- Organization of public events
- Ability to cope with a stressful working environment and stories of trauma
- Interest in the topic and the work
- Very independent way of working
- You should be able to communicate in English (phone calls, informal e-mails)
- Commitment for a least a month
What we offer
- International, motivated team
- Depending on your and our financial situation, we might be able to reimburse travel costs for trips to the EU’s external borders and for networking meetings
- You will be seen as a full member of the team
- As a registered non-profit association we can issue you appreciative internship certificate and recommendation letters (if needed)
More information (not up to date, from 2018): Internship BVM
If interested, please write use your motivation, relevant experience and your availability to: email@example.com