“Tired too much.”

  • Date and time: April 18, 2022 23:00
  • Location: Glinica, Bosnia and Herzegovina
  • Coordinates: 45.211893342739, 15.945362056891
  • Pushback from: Croatia
  • Pushback to: Bosnia
  • Demographics: 8 person(s), age: 25-26 years old , from: Pakistan
  • Minors involved? No
  • Violence used: destruction of personal belongings, theft of personal belongings, exposure to extreme temperatures at police station
  • Police involved: 4 Croatian police officers (described as army or ranger, probably Specijalna Jednica Policija), at least one big transporter
  • Taken to a police station?: yes
  • Treatment at police station or other place of detention: detention, denial of access to toilets
  • Was the intention to ask for asylum expressed?: No
  • Reported by: No Name Kitchen

Original Report

On Sunday, April 18, 2022, the respondent and 7 other Pakistani men got pushed back from Croatia to Bosnia and Herzegovina by Croatian authorities.

The group left Velika Kladusa and crossed the Croatian border close to Durin Potok. They then spent the next 6 days in the Croatian forest, walking and sleeping while on the lookout for Croatian authorities. The respondent described those days as tiring and worrying.

“Tired too much. There is big mountains. And worried about nobody see us.”

During their journey, the group encountered many mine fields, which they tried to avoid. However, from time to time they ended up in the middle of such a field. The group was able to leave the mine fields behind without any harm. The respondent and a friend reported seeing a box full of open mines while they were in the forest.

After 6 days of continuous walking the group of 8 got captured by Croatian authorities while they tried to cross a road close to Tounj, Croatia. They described the authorities as rangers or army wearing a green uniform and batons which they did not use. Based on this description of the uniforms it is most likely that they got apprehended by the Specijalna Jednica Policija – Special Police Team (SJP). They also mentioned seeing a white car with the word Policija on it. The Pakistani men were caught at approximately 3pm on April, 17, 2022.

After the apprehension the group was taken to a police detention centre, where they spent the next 4 hours. The drive was about 30 minutes long. At the centre the police that was present wore blue shirts and black trousers, so presumably it was the Temelnja Policija – Croatian Regular Police. The men were denied food and access to the toilet while they were detained. During the 4 hours that the men spent at the centre, the respondent repeatedly asked for sleeping bags or blankets since it was very cold in the room. However, these were denied to them as well.

The police took the men’s phones and power banks. While they returned 4 of their phones, all of them were broken so that they could not be used anymore, other three phones were taken by the police for themselves.

The group was then taken in a big transporter to the border in the middle of the night. With them were 5 other people, making it a total of 13 people in the back of a transporter. There were no seats or light. However, the respondent stated that the drive was not too bumpy and therefore he said it was not too bad. It took them 2-3 hours to reach the border from the police detention centre. Once they reached the border the respondent and the other men were let out of the transporter one by one and pushed back to Bosnia and Herzegovina. The police did not say anything to the men.

Since it was the middle of the night and the group did not have any phones and thus no way of communication or orientation, they slept at the border. At 8am they started walking alongside the road to get back to Velika Kladusa. They were dependent on other people to give them directions. When we met them, they were just taking a break at the side of the road and at the end of our conversation asked for directions. The respondent wanted to contact IOM to get transportation to the Miral camp, the local refugee camp in Velika Kladusa, however, they decided against it in the end. A couple of days later the respondent told us that they reached their destination at 3pm, after walking for approximately 7 hours from the pushback location. The respondent underlined that this constitutes another form of violence since the group was forced to walk several hours without orientation or communication to reach a point where they might find help and support.