“"I am going to Italy" and they beat me”

  • Date and time: April 4, 2021 02:30
  • Location: Near Maljevac, Croatia
  • Coordinates: 45.19332643838, 15.787291867738
  • Pushback from: Croatia, Slovenia
  • Pushback to: Bosnia, Croatia
  • Demographics: 1 person(s), age: 32 , from: Afghanistan
  • Minors involved? No
  • Violence used: beating (with batons/hands/other), destruction of personal belongings, theft of personal belongings
  • Police involved: In Slovenia: 2 Slovenian army soldiers at the apprehension moment. 2 Slovenian police officers and one van at the deportation moment. In Croatia: 8 Croatian border police officers and a van at the Slovenian border. 2 Croatian police officers and a van at the pushaback.
  • Taken to a police station?: yes
  • Treatment at police station or other place of detention: fingerprints taken, papers signed, no translator present, denial of access to toilets
  • Was the intention to ask for asylum expressed?: No
  • Reported by: No Name Kitchen

Original Report

The respondent is a 32 years old man from Afghanistan. On the 3rd of April, he crossed the border from Croatia into Slovenia and was detected shortly after at 11:00 am, after two or three hours walking in Slovenia. He was traveling with a small group of people, who were able to avoid the apprehension by running away so that the respondent remained alone.

During the apprehension, two Slovenian army soldiers were involved, both male. They took the respondent to a police station, where he stayed for around five hours. In the police station, he was detained alone in a room. There, he was provided only a biscuit and a glass of water. The officers took his fingerprints and forced him to sign a document that he did not know what it said because it was written in Slovenian and he was not given a translator. Although he did not ask for asylum, he requested to stay in Slovenia, which was denied by the police. Who told him, that he would be ‘deported’.

At around 5:00 pm, two Slovenian police officers, a woman and a man, took the respondent in a green van to the Croatian border, which was a 30-minute ride. When they arrived at the border, the Croatian border police told him to come to them. So that in the end, the Croatian authorities took him over from the Slovenian authorities.

He crossed the border to Croatia at 6:00 pm on the 3rd of April. At that point, he met 8 Croatian border police officers, two women and six men. The authorities checked everything and took 50€, his camp document, his jacket and jumper, the belt, and shoelaces from him. They left him just with his shoes, trousers and a t-shirt. The police also took the paper he had to sign in the Slovenian police station and they tore it in front of him. Next, the authorities asked him why he had come to Croatia, to which he answered that he wanted to go to Italy. Then, right after, one of the officers struck him several times in the back with a baton, while another officer was holding the respondent.

Later, the Croatian police took the respondent to a police station in a white van. The respondent does not remember where the police station was, but it was 45 minute ride from the border. So, he arrived there at around 8:00 pm. In this station, he was locked in a small room, where the officers gave him some water and half a piece of bread. He highlights that he was very hungry and that the amount of food he was given was not enough. Furthermore, he was not allowed to use the toilet, even though he explicitly asked for it.

After two hours in the police station, at 10:00 pm, another two police officers put him into a van and drove between three and four hours to the Bosnian border. He was pushed back to Bosnia, into a forest between Maljevac (Croatia) and Velika Kladuša (Bosnia), on the 4th of April at 2:30 am. It was night and he could not see anything. He started walking until he found a blanket and decided to sleep, waiting for the day light.