“When he asked for a doctor the guards refused and beat him”

  • Date and time: August 30, 2017 00:00
  • Location: UNHCR Office in Zagreb, Croatia
  • Coordinates: 45.8150108, 15.981918899999982
  • Push-back from: Croatia
  • Push-back to: Serbia
  • Demographics: 1 person(s), age: 22 , from: Pakistan
  • Minors involved? No
  • Violence used: beating (with batons/hands/other), destruction of personal belongings
  • Police involved: 5 Croatian police
  • Taken to a police station?: yes
  • Treatment at police station or other place of detention:
  • Was the intention to ask for asylum expressed?: Yes
  • Reported by: No Name Kitchen

Original Report

The interviewee left Pakistan in August 2016 and passed through Iran and Turkey. He tried to cross the border from Turkey to Bulgaria 4 times. During the first 3 tries he was caught by the Bulgarian Police. They chased him with police dogs and beat him, before taking him back to Turkey. At the 4th. try he made it to Bulgaria. In Bulgaria the police brought him to Busmantsi, a detention camp in Bulgaria. He was not allowed to leave the building for 4 months. He was often beaten by the guards in the camp. For example when he asked for a doctor, the guards refused and beat him. After 4 months in the closed camp, Bulgarian officials brought him to an open camp, where he was treated better. He made it to Serbia in the first attempt.

He has tried to cross the border from Serbia to Croatia approximately 10-15 times up until now and was always deported back to Serbia. During these tries the Croatian Police broke his phone with a stick. One time he almost reached the UNHCR-office in Zagreb, but the Croatian police caught him directly in front of the building. He explained to the police that he wanted to ask for asylum. Although he insisted on his rights for asking for asylum, the police took him to a police station, and placed him in a closed room. He kept on insisting that he wanted to ask for asylum. But the Croatian police deported him back to Serbia. In the car were 4 people on the move and 2 police officers. When he was released at the Serbian border, 5 police officers were there in total. He was not beaten, but his mobile phone was broken by the Croatian police.

In another attempt the same person was pushed back from Zagreb while going to register in the UNHCR office, in the last week of August, with another person. Walking towards the door the police stopped them and asked for documents. He declared that he wanted to go to the UNHCR office. The police told him “You stop here”, and called more colleagues, and he was brought to the police station. He asked many times for asylum, the answer was always No. He was deported back to Serbia. The police beat him and broke his mobile. He declared that he was deported 5 times in one week.