“We walked 20 days under the snow. Last 10 days, no food, no water”

  • Date and time: December 9, 2021 10:00
  • Location: 50 minutes from A1 road, at the border between Slovenia and Croatia.
  • Coordinates: 45.480432389751, 14.213968930355
  • Pushback from: Croatia
  • Pushback to: Bosnia
  • Demographics: 18 people person(s), age: 16-30 , from: Afghanistan, Pakistan
  • Minors involved? Yes
  • Violence used: beating (with batons/hands/other), threatening with guns, reckless driving
  • Police involved: 12 Slovenian policemen, 12-13 Croatian border police (granicna policija)
  • Taken to a police station?: yes
  • Treatment at police station or other place of detention: detention, personal information taken, papers signed
  • Was the intention to ask for asylum expressed?: No
  • Reported by: Anonymous Partner

Original Report

On the 8th of December, 18 people were pushed back from Slovenia, and they were only 10 kilometres far from Italy.

The respondent claims that him and other 17 people started their game on the 18th of November at around 11 in the morning; there were both Afghani and Pakistani, and two minors as well. They walked for many days inside the jungle, and there was a lot of snow.

“20 days walking in the jungle. After 10 days, no more food, no more water.”

Video on TikTok showing people walking in the snow.

After many days of walking, on the 8th of December at 4 p.m. the group was caught by Slovenian police on A1 road, only 10 km from Italy. As the respondent affirms, police told them to stop and not to run, or they would have released the dogs. They also pointed guns on the people, who remained still. The 2 minors of the group managed to escape. One of the people in the group was slapped by one Slovenian policeman.

There were 12 Slovenian policemen and policewomen, who brought the people to a police station with 3 white vans, driving for 30 minutes. At the police station, with the help of a translator (no one within them could speak English), policemen asked them information about their game and how they arrived in Slovenia.

“They were asking us questions, and we kept on telling we are hungry, we need food. Finally, they gave us food, but only one time. We walked 10 days without food and water.”

The 16 people slept at the police station; as the respondent says, the conditions were not bad, but they gave them food only one time. In the morning, at around 10 a.m., Slovenian police drove for 20-25 minutes and handed the people to the Croatian border police.

As the respondent says, “this time the Croatian police was not that bad”: they put the people in containers and checked them for 20 minutes. They didn’t steal anything from them. After having checked them, they put them on a bus and drove for 4-5 hours. They released them in proximity to the Bosnian border, closed to Bihać.

“They took lot of time to arrive to the border and leave us there. The car was shaking and we were not feeling well. I think they wanted to confuse us.”