“They further poured cold water over them. It was a night with temperatures below zero. ”

  • Date and time: February 24, 2019 03:00
  • Location: near Kelebija
  • Coordinates: 46.170006, 19.556975
  • Pushback from: Hungary
  • Pushback to: Serbia
  • Demographics: 3 person(s), age: 13-15 , from: Afghanistan
  • Minors involved? Yes
  • Violence used: beating (with batons/hands/other), kicking, pushing people to the ground, insulting, pouring water over one's head, destruction of personal belongings
  • Police involved: 8 police men, 4 security guards (with black jackets and hats)
  • Taken to a police station?: unknown
  • Treatment at police station or other place of detention: photos taken, personal information taken, videos taken
  • Was the intention to ask for asylum expressed?: No
  • Reported by: Escuela Con Alma

Original Report

In the night of February 24, 2019, three boys from Afghanistan, aged between 13 and 15, tried to cross the border from Serbia to Hungary near Kelebija.

The three of them left at 2 am from an abandoned house and hid in a train which crossed the Serbian-Hungarian border near Kelebija. At 3 am, when they were already in Hungary, four security officers with black jackets and hats searched the train and caught the group of three. Then, eight other officers arrived who might have been called by the first ones as claimed by the respondent.

The respondent recounted how they were roughly pulled out of the train. Afterwards all three of them were beaten with hands and batons, pushed to the ground and kicked. They further poured cold water over them. It was a night with temperatures below zero. They permanently insulted them:

“Fuck you!”

The attack lasted for approximately 15 minutes within which the three of them got injured and some of their clothes were ripped.

Afterwards, they were brought back by a car to a door at the Serbian border. Their photos and names were taken, but they didn’t check their camp IDs or take their fingerprints.

The group of three was deported to Serbia around 4.30 pm and the officers took videos of the process, according to the respondent.

They opened the door at the border and pushed them back to Serbia. As the Hungarian officers didn’t contact the Serbian authorities, the three individuals had to walk back for approximately three hours until they reached the abandoned house again.

The 13-year-old had several small wounds on hands and face and a hematoma on his face. His body was still aching from the kicking.

The 14-year-old had also wounds on his face and his body was in pain.

The 15-year-old also had a hematoma and his body was aching. He was further suffering from a cold due to the cold water having been poured over him.