“They don't respect humanity, sometimes they beat us so hard, they don't care about people and refugees”

  • Date and time: February 9, 2021 00:00
  • Location: Grabarska (45.146280,15.771334)
  • Coordinates: 45.14628, 15.771334
  • Pushback from: Croatia
  • Pushback to: Bosnia
  • Demographics: 7 person(s), age: 22, 24, 27, 27, 28, 35, 37 , from: Afghanistan, Iran
  • Minors involved? No
  • Violence used: exposure to air condition and extreme temperature during car ride, theft of personal belongings, reckless driving
  • Police involved: 8 special police officiers, 4 police officiers in blu uniform and 7 interventna policija
  • Taken to a police station?: yes
  • Treatment at police station or other place of detention:
  • Was the intention to ask for asylum expressed?: No
  • Reported by: Border Violence Monitoring

Original Report

The respondent and his group, consisting of 7 people from Iran and Afghanistan, left for the so-called “game” on 1 February 2021 crossing the border between Bosnia and Croatia in the area of Sturlic. The respondent states that they walked for eight days in the snow passing by a mine field and when they were 15 km from the Slovenian border they were apprehended on 9 February at 8 PM in the area of Modrus by 8 police officers wearing green uniforms, the special police officers, on the E71 road. Once the special forces stopped the group on the move, they called the police station and after twenty minutes a white van driven by police officers in blue uniforms arrived.

Around 9 p.m., they were loaded into the van and taken to a police station. The respondent states that during the journey the police drove speeding and braking abruptly and one of them vomited several times, he also states that it was very hot inside the van and it was impossible to breathe.

The drive to the police station took 20 minutes, presumably the Ogulin police station.

Once they arrived at the police station, the same police officers who drove the van checked their bags and took their phones and power banks. The respondent claims that the group only received back their empty backpacks with some food.

After an hour spent at the police station, a van with two more police officers but with the same blue uniform arrived, the group was loaded into the van and driven to the Bosnian border. After two hours of driving, around midnight, they were taken out of the van to an area along the border where there was a white van with 7 other police officers in black uniforms with balaclavas, the interventna policija.

The respondent states that they were in the border area near Grabarska (coordinates: 45.146280,15.771334), when the police shouted “Now GO GO to Bosnia”. The transiting group ran along the border walking for 5 hours towards the area of Sturlic.