“They made me lie down in 50cm-high ice-cold water for 8 hours only in my underwear.”

  • Date and time: January 22, 2022 10:30
  • Location: Bari, Italy
  • Coordinates: 41.1327435, 16.8668087
  • Pushback from: Italy
  • Pushback to: Greece
  • Demographics: 1 person(s), age: 15 , from: Afghanistan
  • Minors involved? Yes
  • Violence used: beating (with batons/hands/other), kicking, pushing people to the ground, exposure to air condition and extreme temperature during car ride, water immersion, forcing to undress, theft of personal belongings
  • Police involved: 2 Italian police officer, 1 Greek police officer
  • Taken to a police station?: yes
  • Treatment at police station or other place of detention: detention, forced to lie in cold water for 8 hours
  • Was the intention to ask for asylum expressed?: Unknown
  • Reported by: No Name Kitchen

Original Report

„They made me lie in 50cm-high cold water for 8 hours naked only in my underwear.”

The respondent, a 15-year old from Afghanistan, described being inside a truck onboard a vessel that left from Greece to Italy. The respondent said that the boat was a “SUPERFAST” model. It departed at approximately 6:00 pm, Friday 21st of January 2022, from the Greek port of Patras and arrived in Bari the next morning, Saturday 22nd of January 2022, at approximately 10:00 am – after 16 hours of transit.

SUPERFAST XI: Πληροφορίες, Δρομολόγια, Θέσεις | Ferryscanner
model SUPERFAST XI: Πληροφορίες, Δρομολόγια, Θέσεις | source: Ferryscanner.com

“They beat me too much.”

According to the minor’s words, once the ship arrived at the Italian port, the trucks started moving. When the truck under which the respondent was hiding stopped for two minutes he tried to get out from under the truck. The respondent explained that the truck driver in the truck parked behind ‘his’ truck saw how he was about to leave the underneath of the truck. Then, he said that he saw Italian police arriving onboard the vessel. The respondent said that he recognized them by their typical uniforms, which also had the word “police” written on the back. When the officers noticed the respondent they apprehended him and subsequently, he was taken to the police station in the port of Bari where he stayed for about 30 minutes.

“They took off my shoes, my jacket, my trousers, my t-shirt. I had to lie down in ice-cold water for 8 hours wearing only my underwear.”

While he was in the police station the respondent asked if he could use the toilet and the police told him to go outside. The respondent described that he was very scared when he tried to go out. He told that a commando of the port saw him and approached him. The respondent described that he was then taken to an area at the police station, in which he supposes were no cameras. He said that he was taken to a room where there was ice-cold water on the floor, about 50 cm high. The respondent explained that the police forced him to take off all his clothes except for his underwear and that he had to lie down on the floor in the cold water for what he felt were 8 hours.

“There was one person filming everything with the phone.”

The respondent claimed that the Italian “commando” (people on the move refer to the authorities working in the Port of Patras as commando)  beat him “too much” with a stick on his neck, on the forehead, in the back, and on his abdominal as well as extremities. Taking up what the respondent shared in his testimony, he said that he identified two Italian police officers, one officer in the Greek police uniform. He also said that the truck driver beat him together with the other officers while he was lying on the floor in the cold water. The respondent said that there was one person with a covered face taking a video with a mobile phone while he was being beaten up.

“They took 150€ from the money I had.”

Additionally, the respondent stated that the Italian police officers took 150€ out of the  300€ which he had in his possession prior to the push back.

The part of the testimony covering his return to the port of Patras was described very briefly by the respondent. The respondent seemed apathetic and diverted whilst retelling the story. From what was shared in the testimony, the respondent arrived back on the same vessle at the port of Patras on Sunday, 23rd of January 2022.

The respondent said that he could not sleep after the pushback at night as he has a fever and as he is very cold. A friend of the respondent, who helped with the translation during the interview, stated that the respondent has changed a lot after the pushback. He repeated, “he is very different […]he cannot sleep and walks around in the factory at night”.