“A lot of snow, no water and no food!”

  • Date and time: January 24, 2021 00:00
  • Location: close to Zabiče, Slovenia
  • Coordinates: 45.5153091, 14.3438251
  • Pushback from: Croatia, Slovenia
  • Pushback to: Bosnia
  • Demographics: 1 person(s), age: 25 , from: Morocco
  • Minors involved? No
  • Violence used: beating (with batons/hands/other), kicking, pushing people to the ground
  • Police involved: 6 Slovenian regular police officers, one slovenian police car, unknown number of Croatian police officers, one Croatian police van
  • Taken to a police station?: yes
  • Treatment at police station or other place of detention: fingerprints taken, personal information taken, no translator present
  • Was the intention to ask for asylum expressed?: Yes
  • Reported by: No Name Kitchen

Original Report

On the 24th of January one man around 25 years old, was pushed back from Slovenia to Croatia and from there to Bosnia. He had left Velika Kladusa on foot and had walked for 7 days in the snow and cold. As he did not have any food or water left he decided to present himself to the police to ask them for help.

In the Slovenian village of Zabiče, he was then arrested by two police officers. They called another vehicle, in which the respondent was brought to a nearby police station. At this point, the respondent had difficulties walking, because his feet were in a bad condition due to frostbites. Reportedly one police officer kicked the respondent onto the backside of his legs, to push him into the vehicle. As he did not feel safe on his feet, he fell down and had to crawl on the ground towards the vehicle. He was driven to a nearby police station.

At this station 3 other Slovenian officers were present. He was interrogated, his personal data, and his fingerprints were taken and he had to sign a paper that he did not understand as there was no translator present.

The respondent asked for asylum but did not understand if they accepted his request or not. When they took his fingerprints and personal data, he assumed that he was started his asylum procedure. After the interrogation, the police officers in the station took away the money and his phone that the respondent was carrying on him. He claims that he was also struck by the authorities who used their feet and hands.

The respondent sustained light injuries on his feet and head and therefore asked to see a doctor. Eventually, they brought him to a doctor, but he only checked his body temperature. The respondent assumed that this was a sort of test for Covid-19.

Directly from the doctor, the respondent was brought to the Croatian border in a Slovenian police van. At this spot he was handed over to Croatian authorities, that then drove him to the Bosnian border. He was told to leave the car in a spot near the Bosnian city of Bihac, an area called Baljevac. In that location, the Croatian authorities told him to go back to Bosnia. He walked back to Velika Kladusa, which was a way of nearly 90 km.