“First beaten by a truckdriver, than by the authorities ”

  • Date and time: January 28, 2021 01:00
  • Location: E70 road near Ivanic Grad, Croatia
  • Coordinates: 45.68816707005, 16.381149992601
  • Pushback from: Croatia
  • Pushback to: Bosnia
  • Demographics: 6 person(s), age: 16-25 years old , from: Afghanistan, Pakistan
  • Minors involved? Yes
  • Violence used: beating (with batons/hands/other), kicking, forcing to undress, destruction of personal belongings, theft of personal belongings
  • Police involved: 6 Croatian police officers wearing black uniforms and masks
  • Taken to a police station?: yes
  • Treatment at police station or other place of detention: photos taken, personal information taken
  • Was the intention to ask for asylum expressed?: No
  • Reported by: No Name Kitchen

Original Report

At the end of January, the respondent and five others left Serbia hidden in a truck that was going towards Italy. After spending two nights in this truck, around 1 or 2 am, the driver of the truck stopped on a parking near the E70 road leading to Zagreb to go to sleep. The morning after, he discovered that the respondent and his friends were in his truck and he called the police. Six Croatian police officers arrived, 2 women and 4 men.

The driver went into the truck and started hitting the respondent as well as the others that were inside. After this, the authorities fight with them using batons for approximately 20 minutes on the parking lot. They also took their clothes, bags, money and broke their mobile phones.

Afterwards they took People-on-the-move to a nearby police station where their names were written down and their pictures were taken. Another group of People in transit (2 women and 2 men) was present in the police station. Their stay in the police station was relatively short, it lasted what felt like 30 minutes to the respondent.

Then, they were driven in a police vehicle to the Croatian-Bosnian border near Bihac. One by one they were asked to come out of the car to be struck with batons. The policemen who were beating them this time were wearing black uniforms and black masks. When the beating was finished, the group was walked over the border from where they then walked back to Bihac.