“The face, they beat me on my face, everywhere on my face”

  • Date and time: January 8, 2019 03:00
  • Location: Bihac, Bosnia, close to Bihac, just after the border crossing
  • Coordinates: 44.83040454336067, 15.764308816745597
  • Pushback from: Croatia
  • Pushback to: Bosnia
  • Demographics: 7 person(s), age: one 28, others unknown , from: Algeria
  • Minors involved? Unknown
  • Violence used: beating (with batons/hands/other), kicking, gunshots, destruction of personal belongings, theft of personal belongings
  • Police involved: 10 Croatian police officers in black uniforms and masks
  • Taken to a police station?: unknown
  • Treatment at police station or other place of detention:
  • Was the intention to ask for asylum expressed?: No
  • Reported by: No Name Kitchen

Original Report

The group of seven left from Bihać (BIH) early in the morning on January 8, 2019. At around 3 am, they arrived at the Croatian border. A few meters after crossing it, when walking on a hill along a small path, they were ambushed by several officers in a curve of the path.

“It was all night, all black.”

They have night visions binoculars.”

Three officers suddenly stood in front of the group, two persons on each side and another three stepped behind them. In total, the group of seven got surrounded by ten officers wearing black uniforms and balaclavas.

After they turned on their flashlights and fired once in the air.”

All the individuals then had to kneel down and were forced to hand out their bags and phones. Then, the ten officers began to beat them up:

“The starter is the kicks and then they beat with sticks and closed-fist.”

“Even after we took out our bag, we put our hand behind of our neck. Normally they can not beat us [when we are] in this position.”

While they were beaten with batons and fists, the respondent tried to protect himself with his hand.

The face, they beat me on my face, everywhere on my face.

After they beat us [completely], my phone and 110 euros they stole. As usual.”

When they break phones, they give them back directly, but at this time they put them in their pockets.”

In total, the officers stole at least €1100, five phones and four power banks. Then, the group of seven was asked where they come from, and they responded that they were from some other Arab countries.

After the attack, the seven individuals managed to run away. They returned to Bihać walking, and continued by bus to Velika Kladusa (BIH). The next night, the respondent tried to sleep, but he was in such pain, that it was impossible. Thus, at approximately 2,30 am, he went to the hospital in Velika Kladusa. The first doctor he saw refused to provide any health care. However, the second one approached him and offered to take a look at his injury, but secretly. This doctor thought that one of the thumb bones was broken and made a bandage to the respondent. He did not suggest the victim to come back later in the morning for x-ray to confirm the diagnostic. He provided him three painkillers for the rest of the night and the next day.