“Emprisoned and questioned for three days in Budapest”

  • Date and time: July 20, 2021 00:00
  • Location: Kelebija
  • Coordinates: 46.168377587131, 19.55878445853
  • Pushback from: Hungary, Slovenia
  • Pushback to: Serbia
  • Demographics: 2 person(s), age: 25 , from: Palestine, Morocco
  • Minors involved? No
  • Violence used: theft of personal belongings, Detention, Handcuffed/Strapped to a chair
  • Police involved: 2 Slovenian police officers; 5 Hungarian police officers from Budapest to Kelebija
  • Taken to a police station?: yes
  • Treatment at police station or other place of detention: detention, photos taken, personal information taken, papers signed, no translator present, denial of access to toilets, denial of food/water
  • Was the intention to ask for asylum expressed?: Yes
  • Reported by: Collective Aid

Original Report

On the 17th of July, the respondent, a young man from Morrocco, reached the Slovenian border. The respondent reported that he was caught by the Slovenian police and taken to a police station in Slovenia where he was hoping to ask for international protection. The Slovenian officer refused to address his request and got in touch with the Hungarian police. The respondent states that later on a Hungarian officer, together with a team of 4 policemen, escorted him as well as a young Palestinian man to a van that drove them to the a Police Station in Budapest.

There, the respondent reported that he was held captive, strapped to a chair and with handcuffs on, for 3 days. He said he was being interrogated continuously. His phone was seized by police forces while he was being questioned. The respondent also claims having accessed only 1 meal and 1 drink everyday evening.

He was then driven from there to Kelebija, near the Serbian border. Police forces at the Kelebija bordercheck took a photo of the respondent holding a number, as well as a video. He said that he was then escorted to the the other side of the border and was left there.