“The officers were laughing and pointing at them”

  • Date and time: June 10, 2021 12:00
  • Location: Near Horgos border crossing
  • Coordinates: 46.175084515312, 19.965872095481
  • Pushback from: Hungary
  • Pushback to: Serbia
  • Demographics: 20 person(s), age: 13-25 , from: Afghanistan
  • Minors involved? Yes
  • Violence used: beating (with batons/hands/other), pepper spray
  • Police involved: 6 Hungarian police officers in blue uniforms (Hungarian flag on the arm). 2 police white vans with blue lines
  • Taken to a police station?: unknown
  • Treatment at police station or other place of detention: detention
  • Was the intention to ask for asylum expressed?: No
  • Reported by: Collective Aid

Original Report

The respondent, a 17 year old person from Afghanistan, crossed the border from Serbia to Hungary in the morning of June, 10th, 2021. He was traveling in a group of 20 people, all male from Afghanistan, that included at least 7 minors between the ages of 13 and 17. They tried to cross the border in several cars and were found by the Hungarian police in the vehicles at the border crossing. 

The police officers, 3 men and 3 women wearing blue uniforms with the Hungarian flag on their arms, reportedly used pepper spray on several people in the group, including some of the minors, as they opened the cars they were traveling in. They also hit some of them several times with their fists while forcing them out of the vehicles.

“I am a human, they think I’m an animal” 

The interviewee described that the officers were laughing in the process and pointing at them and saying:

“Look at this one”

They were then walked to the police station at the border crossing, where they waited for 2 hours. After that time, they were driven for 10 minutes to a gate in the fence – close to the border crossing in Horgos – in two vehicles. The respondent was jammed with 12 people in the cage in the cargo area of one big white van with blue lines, where they had to stand for the ride. Upon arrival at the gate, they were taking pictures standing next to the vehicle as well as crossing the border. They were pushed-back around 12PM on the same day. Serbian police officers were present on the other side but didn’t interact with the group.