“"When they came the whole group was asleep. They kicked everyone, not just me.“”

  • Date and time: June 14, 2021 13:00
  • Location: Horgoš border crossing
  • Coordinates: 46.175799549976, 19.978748426025
  • Pushback from: Hungary
  • Pushback to: Serbia
  • Demographics: 15 person(s), age: 21-35 , from: Afghanistan
  • Minors involved? No
  • Violence used: kicking
  • Police involved: police officers with Hungarian police uniforms, Hungarian flag sewed on, some uniforms had the letters 'AVO' on them, 3 Hungarian police cars + 1 police van
  • Taken to a police station?: no
  • Treatment at police station or other place of detention: photos taken
  • Was the intention to ask for asylum expressed?: Unknown
  • Reported by: Collective Aid

Original Report

The respondent and his group started in Subotica on Sunday June 13th, stayed close to the Hungarian border and then crossed in the night from Sunday to Monday. They were 15 people, all from Afghanistan and all male between 21 and 35 years old. 


“When we crossed the Dschal [fence], we were walking for 5 or 6 hours through the forest. Then we stayed there for the night. […] About 9 or 10 in the morning [June 14] the police saw our group and caught us. […] When they came the whole group was asleep. They kicked everyone, not just me.“

“I think some people who lived close to the forest saw us and called the police. Or the police saw us with the drone. Nowadays the Hungarian police has drones”. 

The police approached the group with sticks and told them not to move. There were four police officers at first, one woman and three men. They wore uniforms with the Hungarian flag sewed on. The respondent also remembers to have read the letters ‚AVO‘ on some of the uniforms. The four officers kicked everyone in the group and took all the telephones. One phone was smashed and the others were given back. According to the respondent the phones that were given back were bugged which allows the Hungarian authorities to locate them whenever they are in Hungarian territory. 


The four police officers then called for backup and three more police cars arrived. Two of them were regular police cars with two officers in each and one was a bigger van. The van had no windows and looked like an official police vehicle. All 15 people were photographed and then forced into the van. They had to stand in the back of the van which was approximately 2mx1.5m wide. 

“The car was big, but our place was very small. After about 30 min in the car, we came back to the border“

The group was taken directly back to the Serbian-Hungarian border. They arrived at the official border crossing in Horgoš on Monday, June 14th around 1 pm. They were dropped off there and there was no Serbian police around. The group walked then for an hour through Serbia and then took a Taxi back to Subotica.