“We were running from war looking for safety and all we found is humiliation and beating”

  • Date and time: June 14, 2021 15:00
  • Location: Uzunköprü
  • Coordinates: 41.266979, 26.687679
  • Pushback from: Greece
  • Pushback to: Turkey
  • Demographics: 60 person(s), age: 2-40 years old , from: Afghanistan, Pakistan, Syria
  • Minors involved? Yes
  • Violence used: beating (with batons/hands/other), forcing to undress, theft of personal belongings, reckless driving
  • Police involved: 1 x white police car with ‘Police’ in English on side; 1 x old ford car; 2 officers in sage green uniform; 2 in civilian clothes - all in balaclavas; white van; 5/6 officers in sage green uniforms; 1 in a black uniform with ‘police’ written in english on back; officers in green & black camouflage uniforms; military truck; Four officers from the detention centre in camouflage uniform accompanied the group from the site of detention to the site of the pushback; 4 more officers, speaking arabic, kurdish and turkish in black uniforms
  • Taken to a police station?: yes
  • Treatment at police station or other place of detention: detention, no translator present, denial of food/water, personal belongings taken
  • Was the intention to ask for asylum expressed?: Yes
  • Reported by: josoor

Original Report

The respondent, a 22-year-old male from Rika, Syria, traveled from close to Edirne, Turkey, to Greece by boat on the Evros river. The respondent, together with a party of 9 people, walked for 4 hours from the border, before being apprehended 30 minutes walk from the village of Elaia

The respondent states that the group was stopped by two cars carrying four officers at around midnight on the night of 13/06/2021. One of the cars was white, with ‘Police’ written in English on the side and the other was an old white Ford car. Two of the officers in the cars were wearing a sage green uniform and two were wearing civilian clothes, all of them wearing balaclavas. The respondent understood that these were police officers as they carried guns and batons but did not have any flag or insignia on their uniform. 

These four officers in balaclavas beat the men of the group using batons and plastic sticks. The men were searched and their phones and personal belongings were confiscated. This process took around 30 minutes. Following this the group was forced to wait for 30 minutes for the arrival of a white van. 

After the van arrived, the group was loaded into the back of the van by the officers. Inside the back of the van were a further 15 people, all of them Syrian males. 2 of this group were minors aged 15 and 16. The van drove for 45 minutes along with a mixture of paved and unpaved roads. The respondent states that the van drove fast and recklessly. 

At around 1:30 am, the van arrived at a detention site where there was a building near to a church and some houses. The building was surrounded by a cement wall with a barbed wire fence on top. Inside the building were six or seven officers. All of them were wearing a sage green uniform except for one that was wearing a black uniform. 4 of the officers in sage green uniforms were wearing balaclavas. On the back of the black uniform, the word ‘Police’ was written in English. The respondent identified that one of the officers was wearing a light blue armband that he identified as similar to the Frontex uniform as seen in the picture below. This officer spoke to the group in English. 

The respondent identified that the officer who wore a light blue armband had a very similar uniform as the officer who is standing on the far left of this photograph (as you look at it) Source: here

The officers removed the respondent and his group from the back of the van and searched them. The group was put into a line, and 3 officers wearing a sage green uniform searched from each side of the line, while the other officers watched. The male respondents were instructed to remove their shoes and jackets and the officers confiscated money, phones, shoes, clothing, food and water that they found on those searched. Some of the clothes were returned following the search, but some people did not have their clothes returned to them. There were no female officers present,  and the male officers attempted to search the women in the group. However, after the women began shouting, they searched the women only with a scanning machine. 

Following the searching process, the officers took the group to a small cage/holding cell for around 30 minutes before transferring the group to a cell. The cell was around 8 metres by 5 metres and was not clean. There was a bad odor and insects on the floor. Inside the cell there were uncovered metal beds, but that was the only furnishing. 

Throughout the night and morning between 1:30 am and 3 pm, more people were added to the cell. There ended up being around 50 or 55 people in total being held inside the cell including 9 women. Those inside the cell were from Syria, Afghanistan, and Palestine. The youngest person in the cell was a 13-year-old boy from Afghanistan and the eldest was around 40.

 The group was held in the cell from 1:30 am until 3 pm the following day, 14/06/2021. During this time the group was denied food or water and medical assistance was denied to the injured people in the cell. The officers spoke with the group in the cell in English but spoke to each other in a language the respondent identified as Greek. The officers told the group in the cell that in the morning they would be taken to a camp to sign a paper. One English-speaking person in the group attempted to explain that the group had come to Greece to claim asylum in Europe, but he was beaten by the officers. There was no translator provided to translate for those who did not speak English. 

At 3 pm on 14/06/2021, the group was transferred from the cell to a large green Mercedes truck that was around 3m by 2m in size. The respondent understood it was a military vehicle. A total of 10 officers were present when the group was loaded into the truck including those officers that had been present during the night. All officers were wearing balaclavas at this point. The new officers were wearing a camouflage green and black uniform. Four of the ten officers accompanied the group from the site of detention, driving for around 45 minutes until they arrived at the Evros river. The van was accompanied by four officers in camouflage black and green uniforms . For around 15 minutes, the van drove on a paved road, and then drove the rest of the way on an unpaved road. 

During this time, the truck moved fast and the driving was reckless, causing those in the back of the van to collide with each other. Those in the back of the van also struggled to breathe comfortably due to the overcrowding. 

After the van arrived at the river, there were other men waiting in black uniforms. The men were wearing balaclavas and did not have any sign or logo stating for which institution they worked. These officers spoke in Arabic, English, Kurdish and Turkish, but spoke to each other in English. In total there were 10 officers, four in the camouflage uniform and six in the black uniform. 

The site of the river was close to a small unpaved road, surrounded by forest and agricultural land. On the river were two small plastic boats without engines that were around 2m by 1m in size. One boat was white and the other one was blue. Aside from those transported in the truck, there were 10 more Syrian people waiting at the side of the river with the officers. This was 2 women and their children. The age range of this group was 2 to 35 years old.

The officers searched the group two at a time, including searching inside men’s boxer shorts. Then the group was loaded into the boats. 2 officers in black uniforms who spoke arabic were sitting in each boat, and then approximately 10 members of the detained group were loaded into each boat. The officers spoke in Arabic telling them to be quiet and not to make noise and to move quickly into Turkish territory to avoid being seen by the Turkish army. The respondent stated that the boat felt very dangerous and those in the boat were very afraid of drowning. 

The officers paddled the boat to a small island in the middle of the Evros river, where it was possible to walk through the river to the Turkish territory. The respondent waited for one hour on the island for the remainder of his family to cross the river. The entire group eventually crossed into Turkish territory.

The respondent and his family walked for 30 minutes to a small village near Uzunköprü. From there they took a taxi 70km back to the town of Edirne.