“We had no phones. We searched for ever until we found the way to Velika Kladusa.”

  • Date and time: March 19, 2019 00:00
  • Location: Rakovica, Croatia
  • Coordinates: 44.9934013, 15.651912700000025
  • Push-back from: Croatia
  • Push-back to: Bosnia
  • Demographics: 6 person(s), age: 28-34 , from: Morocco, Tunisia, Turkey
  • Minors involved? No
  • Violence used: beating (with batons/hands/other), kicking, theft of personal belongings, theft of official documents
  • Police involved: 4 Croatian officers
  • Taken to a police station?: yes
  • Treatment at police station or other place of detention: detention, fingerprints taken, personal information taken
  • Was the intention to ask for asylum expressed?: Unknown
  • Reported by: Border Violence Monitoring

Original Report

The group of six was walking in Croatia, when they sought shelter in an abounded house because of the cold weather.

“It was freezing outside and there was snow!”

To keep them warm, they decided to make a fire. Around 12 or 1 pm, two officers found them in the house and told them to go outside. The officers called for backup and shortly after two other officers arrived. Without communicating with the group of six, they started beating them. One of the respondents got kicked in the back by an officer.

“Then I fell down and I hurt my knee.”

Afterwards, the officers did a full body search and also searched the bags and took the phones, power banks and official documents from the people on the move.

Then, the officers told them to enter a van and drove them to Zagreb. In Zagreb, they were taken to a police station and put into a cell. They then had to leave the cell one by one and their fingerprints were taken. Afterwards they again had to enter a van and were brought back to the Bosnian border. On the border, the officers told the group to go to Bosnia.

As the six of them didn’t have their phones with them anymore, they didn’t know in which direction to go.

“We had no phones. We searched for ever until we found the way to Velika Kladusa.”

Beside their phones, also their power banks and official documents weren’t returned.