“"They kept us for five hours in a room and took our mobile phones, money and everything"”

  • Date and time: March 24, 2021 12:30
  • Location: Granični prijelaz Bajakovo (Croatia)
  • Coordinates: 45.048330133947, 19.098358154297
  • Pushback from: Croatia, Slovenia
  • Pushback to: Croatia, Serbia
  • Demographics: 4 person(s), age: 26, 27, 25, 35 , from: Pakistan
  • Minors involved? No
  • Violence used: theft of personal belongings, angry talking
  • Police involved: In the apprehension: Five Slovenian border police officers, small blue van. Two Croatian police officers. In the deportation: Two Croatian police officers.
  • Taken to a police station?: no
  • Treatment at police station or other place of detention: papers signed, locked in a room for 4-5h
  • Was the intention to ask for asylum expressed?: Yes
  • Reported by: No Name Kitchen

Original Report

The respondent is a 26 years old man from Pakistan. On the 23rd of March, he crossed the border from Croatia into Slovenia with another three men, from Pakistan as well. At the border, they were detected and apprehended by police officers at 00:00.

At this location, they were kept for 5 hours, inside the police office at the border crossing “Gruškovje”. There were five Slovenian border police officers, all of them male. First, the officers took the mobile phones and the money of all the members of the group. Then, they were forced to sign a paper, which they did not understand, as it was written in Slovenian language and nobody translated it for them. The respondent demanded to ask for political asylum, but he was told that instead they would be brought back.

Afterward, the whole group was brought to the other side of the border in Croatia. They were transferred in a small blue van at around 5:00 am, on the 24th of March.

In Croatia, they were detained again for about four or five hours in the police office, in this case, with two men police officers. The room that they were held in was locked from the outside. The respondent said that they were talking in Croatian to the group members in an angry way, even if they were not insulting them. The respondent and the rest of the group were forced again to sign a paper written in Croatian, without having the possibility for a translation. The respondent supposes this was a document declaring that they would bring him back to Serbia. The respondent mentioned that they did not try another time to ask for asylum in Croatia.

After being kept for four or five hours inside the room they were put in a van and taken to the border with Serbia by two Croatian police officers. The authorities stopped the van in Granični prijelaz Bajakovo, in the border crossing near Batrovci (Serbia). They returned their telephones and money and forced them to walk back into Serbia at around 12:30 pm.