“More than 50 officers using 13 vehicles and two boats in pushback of more than 250 people”

  • Date and time: March 3, 2021 00:00
  • Location: Ispala
  • Coordinates: 40.929232, 26.393941
  • Pushback from: Greece
  • Pushback to: Turkey
  • Demographics: 50 person(s), age: 2-55 years old , from: Afghanistan, Syria, Iraq, Morocco, Tunisia
  • Minors involved? Yes
  • Violence used: beating (with batons/hands/other), pushing people to the ground, exposure to air condition and extreme temperature during car ride, insulting, forcing to undress, destruction of personal belongings, theft of personal belongings, reckless driving
  • Police involved: 10 officers most of them in official blue Greek police uniforms, some in sage green uniforms with balaclavas, 10 blue uniformed officers, 1 white van with no number place, 1 Volkswagen with no number plate, 4 or 5 ford trafic cars, 1 Big Iveco Truck, 20 officers in sage green and black clothes with balaclavas, 6 vans with no number plates, 8 officers
  • Taken to a police station?: yes
  • Treatment at police station or other place of detention: detention, papers signed, denial of access to toilets, denial of food/water, denial of medical care, personal belongings taken
  • Was the intention to ask for asylum expressed?: No
  • Reported by: josoor

Original Report

The respondent, a 30-year-old Tunisian man, was apprehended in Thessaloniki by Greek authorities on March 1st, 2021. It was about 11pm. He had walked for about a month through Greece, after crossing from Turkey, with a group of other Tunisian men aged between 28 and 50 years old. The group he was with consisted of 8 people. But when being chased by police, they had split up so it was him and five others who were caught together, with their two other companions being reunited with them later.

The respondent initially ran away from the police in Thessaloniki when he was apprehended but he was soon caught. There were about 10 officers in 2 cars, who spoke Greek. Most of them were dressed in blue uniforms and some were wearing plain sage green uniforms with balaclavas. Those who wore masks “specialised in beating, they are the only ones who beat us” explained the respondent. The police told him not to worry and that they were going to take him to a camp. But, instead, he was taken to Komotini. They were also given some documents to sign before they were taken to Komotini and thus were under the assumption that they were going to be taken to a camp, but instead they were taken to a detention facility. They were taken in an old white van and a Volkswagen car, both did not have number plates. The journey took about 2 hours and the driving was so reckless that the people in the vehicle kept colliding with each other as they had nothing to hold on to.

When they arrived, it was raining. The respondent described the place of detention as in the middle of Komotini, close to the highway. Based on this description. The respondent recalls seeing a notable building about 10 minutes before they stopped at a gas station in Komotini. Based on this description, the interviewer assumed it must have been the Komotini Police Department and showed the respondent pictures of it who confirmed it. 

There were lots of officers at the detention facility, minimum 10. They were wearing blue uniforms with ‘police’ written on their uniforms. They were taken into a small building described as a garage, about 4m x 5m big, when they arrived. There were about 250 people in this police station.. Their nationalities included Pakistani, Iraqi, Syrian, Tunisian and Moroccan, and the age ranged between 12 to 55 years old, including pregnant women with children, and a 2-year-old baby.

The respondent remembers they were detained for about 5-6 hours. They were not brought anything during this time – no food, no water, nothing. One of the detainees had a badly injured eye but was denied medical attention.

The respondent was denied water, food, and cigarettes by the police when he asked for them. The officers asked the whole group if they were Muslim and where they were from, they explained. The officers took their two phones, power banks, money, and the rest of their belongings. The respondent asked to have his money back – 70 € – but the officers refused.

“He cut my passport into two pieces. I was begging him to give back my passport, but he already cut it” explained the respondent.

In response to being asked if they were beaten, the respondent said “Yes of course. In the beginning they take all your clothes and leave you like a newborn and beat you”. They were beaten with batons, particularly when they were ordered to do something, with the officers telling them to “hurry” and they would hit the detainees. “They just try to make up any reason just to find a way to beat you”.

Then, they were taken in a big Iveco truck, similar to the one used for transporting cows. “They made the box especially for this reason, to put a lot of people inside it” explained the respondent. The back of the truck was aluminum and closed from all sides. All 250 people were put inside this truck, and beaten as they were forced in.

The 250 people were driven for an hour and a half. They did not know where they were going, as they couldn’t see outside because there were no windows. When they arrived at the place of detention they were taken off the truck and transferred into vehicles that resemble Ford Trafic cars. About 50 people or so had been put in each truck, and they were transferred into 4-5 of these cars.

Then these cars took them all to the second place of detention. When they arrived, they found another approximately 150 people already detained there. These people had been caught from the nearest city at the Greek border, whereas the respondent and his group – the 250 people – had been gathered in Komotini and taken here.

This detention site had a church near to it, along with some houses, and it was surrounded by a fence. There were lots of dogs everywhere too. Here, the group was stripped of their clothes and were humiliated by the officers. The female detainees were “probably” searched by female officers, but the respondent recalled:

“Man, they took all of our clothes off and we were so cold and suffering. Then they asked us to put our clothes and everything back on and took us back inside and turned the heater to the maximum. We were sweating so much, and then they came and ordered us to go out. We got sick, all of us”.

The 150 people who were already in the detention centre were of Afghan and Syrian nationality, with a similar age group as the 250 people. There were 5 women among them, some who were older and some as young as 20-23 years old. The whole group was again denied food and water. There was a faucet in the toilet but it was dirty that the detainees could not drink from it.

This cell at the second detention site was horrible. It was about 4-5 metres in size with a bed that smelled bad. The respondent explained that “you have to keep standing anyways because you don’t have enough space to sit”.

They were kept there for about 2 hours, until several officers came, some in sage green uniforms and some in black clothes and balaclavas, to get them and loaded them into trucks, with about 50-60 people in each. There were about 6 cars similar to the ones used before and four officers for each truck, so a total of more 20-24 officers. 

These cars were used to take the people to the Evros river. “They push all the people inside and they beat you with batons to make space for the others” explained the respondent.

The journey took about 30 minutes along an unpaved road, so it was incredibly uncomfortable for the detainees. Every vehicle went a different way to the river, so there were smaller groups at the river when they arrived. The likelihood that the officers had driven the other people – about 350 – to different locations along the river to push people back from different points is high to the point of certainty.

The respondent described that the place he arrived at was in a forest, but it was dark so he could not see much. There were eight other officers at the river side, wearing military green trousers and black jackets. These officers were wearing balaclavas. Some of these officers spoke in Arabic, with the Arabic speaking ones beating them with tree branches and also kicking them.

When they arrived, a plastic boat, with no engine, was ready on the shore of the river. The officers had also tied a long rope from one side of the river to the other. The respondent explained he did not know how they got the rope to the Turkish side of the river. The 50-60 person group was taken across in groups of 12-13. They all were ordered to jump when they got to the middle of the river, rather than being taken to the other side. The river’s water level was very high. “Some who couldn’t swim they barely made it to the other part and were sinking – but who could help them? We were all having the same problem” explained the respondent.

They walked for about 2km through marshland, crossed a bridge and arrived at Ipsala.