“[...] we felt suddenly like animals, not like humans.”

  • Date and time: March 6, 2019 03:00
  • Location: Glina, Croatia
  • Coordinates: 45.3382624, 16.090970900000002
  • Push-back from: Croatia
  • Push-back to: Bosnia
  • Demographics: 2 person(s), age: 24 , from: Morocco, Algeria
  • Minors involved? No
  • Violence used: kicking, destruction of personal belongings, reckless driving
  • Police involved: 5 officers wearing masks and dark uniforms
  • Taken to a police station?: unknown
  • Treatment at police station or other place of detention:
  • Was the intention to ask for asylum expressed?: Yes
  • Reported by: Border Violence Monitoring

Original Report

On the March 6, 2019, at 6 am, two people, a man and a woman, left Velika Kladusa and crossed the Croatia border. From there, they walked all day long through the forest and mountains. Exhausted by the previous walk the two of them decided to sleep a few hours in the forest, around Glina (HRV).

Around 3 pm, while they were still sleeping on the ground, both of them suddenly got kicked several times. When they opened their eyes, they saw five officers surrounding them, wearing masks and dark uniforms. They immediately started asking for asylum again and again, but the officers didn’t reply. One of them asked the two people on the move aggressively:

“Where you come from? What you want in Croatia?”

So the two of them asked for asylum again and another time officer ignored it.

While one officer with mask took all the clothes from their bags and put them on the dirty ground to make everything useless, another one took €200 from them and broke their mobiles phones. Finally, the officer put the broken phones in a plastic bag and gave them back.

The two individuals were terrified and were told to enter a van. By his driving style, the driver intended to make the people on the move sick.

“He drive like a crazy man. He played by suddenly stopping the car, start again, stop, then start again.”

After one hour, the van stopped in a forest near the border. One officer violently made them get off the van. It was dark and one officer showed them in which direction they should walk, shouting:

“Go back Bosnia!”

“We were walking in the direction of Bosnia, without having the right to apply for asylum, without knowing where we were, without our phone, without our money, we felt suddenly like animals, not like humans.”

It took them one day to return to Velika Kladusa. Exhausted, they went to the Miral Camp, run by IOM, but since the officers had taken their camp cards, they weren’t allowed to access medical care and food.

The interview was conducted in cooperation with Thé et Café pour les réfugiés.