“40 times I tried to cross border. I live in Bosnia for 2 years”

  • Date and time: May 5, 2021 01:00
  • Location: Croatia, close to road 1, Croatia
  • Coordinates: 44.812948564577, 15.678410082705
  • Pushback from: Croatia
  • Pushback to: Bosnia
  • Demographics: 6 person(s), age: 18-25 , from: Pakistan
  • Minors involved? No
  • Violence used: exposure to air condition and extreme temperature during car ride, forcing to undress, destruction of personal belongings, theft of personal belongings, reckless driving
  • Police involved: 3 Croatian intervention police officers, and 6 other Croatian police officers in 1 police van
  • Taken to a police station?: no
  • Treatment at police station or other place of detention:
  • Was the intention to ask for asylum expressed?: No
  • Reported by: No Name Kitchen

Original Report

“40 times I tried to cross border. I live in Bosnia for 2 years”

The respondent and his group started their journey from the center of Bihac, Bosnia on  Tuesday the 4th of May at around 8:00 PM. They walked until they reached the feet of one of the mountains that form the border between Croatia and Bosnia, and then crossed the mountain into Croatia. After arriving at road 1 in Croatia, they crossed it, walked a few minutes, and set up a little camp to rest for a few hours.

At 12:00 AM, while they were sleeping, 3 police officers in black uniform and covered faces, a description that resembles the intervention police uniform, arrived at their makeshift camp and ordered the whole group to get up and strip themselves naked. After getting naked, the officers took the mobile phones, power banks, and cigarettes, and burned all the jackets and backpacks with all their belongings inside. They piled their belongings up and set them on fire. Apart from that, no direct physical violence was used during this event. When asked about his experience, the respondent expressed:

“No, this police not beat me, because this police maybe little good officers. They were not bad officers… Some officers bad, some officers put iron rod in arm, head, leg, make it broken, then you can’t go game for months”

After what according to the respondent felt like an hour of waiting, a vehicle described as a minibus with 6 officers arrived and the respondent and his group were forced to stay inside the vehicle for 4 hours. They left the spot and drove until approximately 5 AM. Until they reached the northern part of the border, probably somewhere near Velika Kladusa. During this time, the group was inside a very small and completely closed part of the vehicle, without windows, exposed to low AC temperatures. The respondent claimed that everyone felt dizzy, and many felt very sick and had cold symptoms later. After reaching the border, the group was ordered to leave Croatian territory. Back inside Bosnia, they walked 12 hours straight back to Bihac.