“4-5 police officers collected information from him and detained him in a cell [..]”

  • Date and time: November 10, 2017 00:00
  • Location: Serbian-Croatian border, close to Batrovci, Serbia
  • Coordinates: 45.050394, 19.101044
  • Push-back from: Croatia
  • Push-back to: Serbia
  • Demographics: 1 person(s), age: 20 years old , from: Pakistan
  • Minors involved? No
  • Violence used: no violence used
  • Police involved: catchment: some Croatian police officers, police station: 4-5 Croatian police officers, deportation: 2 Croatian police officers, transportation in closed police van
  • Taken to a police station?: yes
  • Treatment at police station or other place of detention: detention, personal information taken
  • Was the intention to ask for asylum expressed?: Yes
  • Reported by: Rigardu

Original Report

The man walked from Šid, Serbia, across the Serbian-Croatian border towards the West with his friends for several days, continued alone by truck container and switched to walking near Rijeka, Croatia. After he reached some Croatian town near Croatian-Slovenian border the inhabitants saw him and called the police. At night between Friday, 10th and Saturday, 11th of November 2017 Croatian police caught him. The police questioned about his personal details and how he came to Croatia, and the man expressed his intention to apply for asylum. The police proposed that he should get access to apply for asylum in Zagreb. The man was transported by a closed police van (the man didn’t see where they drove) to a local police station, where he amplified his intention to apply for asylum. 4-5 police officers collected information from him and detained him in a cell without taking photos or fingerprints for registration to an asylum application. The man explained that he had been pushed back to Serbia several times from Slovenia and Croatia but could be allowed to take refuge. The police didn’t believe that he had been on route alone, but the man tried to convince them. The detention lasted several, maybe 4-6 hours, and the man slept this whole time. After that the police declared that the man would be transported to Zagreb to be registered to asylum procedures. Two police officers transported the man in a closed police van (the man didn’t know where they drove) a long way. The man slept the whole time, but when he woke up to ask where they were going, pledging for asylum, the police assured that he is going to Zagreb for that. In the end, the next night on Sunday 12th of November 2017 about 2 am, they arrived at the deportation place to Serbian-Croatian border near Batrovci, Serbia (45.050394, 19.101044). The police in the van released the man outside and ordered him:

“Go back to Serbia“,

so the man ran to the Serbian side of the border and travelled back to Sid.