“They told us to leave van one by one and all of them together beat us”

  • Date and time: October 20, 2020 22:00
  • Location: Miratovec, Serbia
  • Coordinates: 42.251210832724, 21.671932948033
  • Pushback from: Serbia
  • Pushback to: North Macedonia
  • Demographics: 3 and 5 person(s), age: unknown , from: Afghanistan
  • Minors involved? Unknown
  • Violence used: beating (with batons/hands/other), kicking, pushing people to the ground
  • Police involved: 10 to 12 serbian police officers wearing light blue uniforms, 2 police van, 6 serbian army officers, 1 blue van; 7 to 8 serbian police officers wearing light blue uniforms, 4 serbian army officers, 1 van
  • Taken to a police station?: no
  • Treatment at police station or other place of detention:
  • Was the intention to ask for asylum expressed?: No
  • Reported by: No Name Kitchen

Original Report

The respondent experienced physical violence and was pushed back from Serbia to Northern Macedonia two days in a row.

First incident happened on the 20th of October. According to the respondent, the Serbian authorities stopped the three people on the move at the train station, near to Preševo camp. Reportedly, there were 10 to 12 Serbian police officers wearing light blue uniforms with two police vans. One police officer was physically violent towards the people-on-the-move during which time the group was place in the police van and driven for about 20 minutes further along the border. Then they stopped and what the respondent described as 6 Serbian “army officers” arrived with a blue van. They were made to switch cars and Serbian “army” drove them for about 15 minutes to the fields near the Northern Macedonian border. These officers reportedly were physically violent with the group before telling them to run to the border.

The second incident happened the following day, on the 21st of October. They were a group of 5 people at this point. A group of approximately 7 Serbian police stopped them in front of Preševo camp. They again took them into a police van and drove them for about 20 minutes, then they stopped, and what the respondent again described as 4 Serbian “army officers” took the group into another van. The Serbian “army” again drove them again for around 15 minutes to the fields near the Northern Macedonian border. They ordered each individual separately to leave the van, after they beat them outside – all the “army officers” together. After the beating they ordered them to go back in the van and wait there. They repeated this with all 5 people. After they beat all the people-on-the-move, they told them to run to Northern Macedonian border. The “army” had a dog that was chasing after the group while they were running towards the border.