“He once again expressed his intention to seek asylum, but the police answered that he would not get it”

  • Date and time: October 23, 2017 07:00
  • Location: Samobor, Croatia
  • Coordinates: 45.81144, 15.64482
  • Push-back from: Croatia
  • Push-back to: Serbia
  • Demographics: 1 person(s), age: 16 , from: Pakistan
  • Minors involved? Yes
  • Violence used: beating (with batons/hands/other), kicking
  • Police involved: Catchment: 6 Slovenian male police/ Violence: 6-7 Croatian male border police in black border police uniforms (around 35 years old)/ Detention: several Croatian police, both male and female, in blue and black uniforms/ Deportation: 5 Croatian male police
  • Taken to a police station?: yes
  • Treatment at police station or other place of detention: fingerprints taken, photos taken, personal information taken
  • Was the intention to ask for asylum expressed?: Yes
  • Reported by: Rigardu

Original Report

A 16 year old person from Pakistan, walked for 3 days from Sid across the border to the Croatian side, and continued in the back of a small van to the Croatian-Slovenian border and walked to the Slovenian side. He was caught about 10km. before the Slovenian-Italian border, by 6 Slovenian police officers, on Monday October 23rd. at about at 6 am. The man expressed his intention to seek asylum, but the police answered that he needs to ask in Croatia. After a while the police transported him in a police van to the Slovenian-Croatian border, to the place where the Croatian border police monitors the border. 6-7 Croatian police officers, in black border police uniforms, were waiting for him.

The police searched his baggage and body, and asked for his personal details. He once again expressed his intention to seek asylum, but the police answered that he would not get it, and complained that refugees go to Slovenia, get deported and try to apply for asylum in Croatia. The man said he was sorry. Afterwards at about 7am. two of the police officers violently attacked him. One officer slapped him with open hand and the other was kicking him in the lower back. The violent incident lasted a few minutes. The man had pain in his back for the next days.

Afterwards, 2 other deportees arrived in some other police cars, and the three were transported in a big police van (blue-black) driven by two police officers, to Zagreb. The Interviewee was taken to Zagreb main police station, where he arrived at about 2pm., and the two other migrants went to another police station. At the station the man expressed his intention to seek asylum, and the officers took his registration. The police took his fingerprints and photos and the man was asked to write down his personal details. Afterwards he spent the night in a cell until the next morning, October 24th. at 11am., about 21 hours in total. The 5 police officers transported him in a big black police van to the Croatian-Serbian border, to the Croatian side near Batrovci.

The police ordered him to go back to Serbia. He asked for his registration papers, but they did not hand them over. After the deportation the man walked back to the Serbian side and returned to Sid.