“They make me the same game before”

  • Date and time: January 16, 2021 00:00
  • Location: Trieste, Italy - NW Bihac, BiH
  • Coordinates: 44.841681803101, 15.767490272868
  • Pushback from: Croatia, Italy, Slovenia
  • Pushback to: Bosnia
  • Demographics: 10 person(s), age: Unknown , from: Afghanistan
  • Minors involved? Unknown
  • Violence used: beating (with batons/hands/other), insulting, forcing to undress, destruction of personal belongings
  • Police involved: unknown number of Italian police officers, 6 slovenian police officers, unknow number of Croatian police officers
  • Taken to a police station?: yes
  • Treatment at police station or other place of detention: fingerprints taken, personal information taken, papers signed
  • Was the intention to ask for asylum expressed?: Yes
  • Reported by: StradaSiCura - Trieste

Original Report

At the end of December/start of January, the respondent – along with a group of 50 people from Afghanistan and Pakistan – crossed from the city of Bihac in BiH into Croatia. Shortly into their journey, the group was stopped by the Croatian police next to Highway Road 71. The majority of the people were apprehended by the police, but the respondent was able to avoid capture and continue his journey alone.

Around 17 days later he reached the border between Slovenia and Italy.
He waited until 04:00-05:00 in the morning on approximately 16th January 2020 to cross the border, in an area described as “jungle”. The wooded area was located in the vicinity of a river, with mountain roads covered with white stones. The description by the respondent matches closely to the area of Val Rosandra. In line with this location, the respondent confirms he saw in the distance the SIOT gasol reservoirs, placed in Mattonaia (San Dorligo della Valle – https://goo.gl/maps/J11Da1RQGj49j3yu7).

SIOT gasol reservoir (Trieste Prima)

It was dark in the early hours of the morning and he reached the begining of a more urban area, following the lights of the city in front of him. Descending towards what he descibed as the “small city”, he encountered a person that was jogging. He stopped next to a bus stop, which is likely to have been Bagnoli (“terminal bus station”- https://goo.gl/maps/g8s1VDxatxWAfP4J9) with the intention of taking the bus and reaching Trieste.

At the bus stop, the respondent was approached by a patrol of Italian police (car and two officers). He was then taken into the police car, with tinted glass in the back where he was seated. Here the two Italian officers made clear that due to him being an adult and not a minor, they would deliver him back to the Slovenian police. The respondent refers to have been directly removed to Slovenia (“I have been directly deported to Slovenia”). He was not taken to an Italian police station for identification, and neither picture nor fingerprints were taken. 

From the bus stop where he had been caught, the police car left towards an unknown direction and after nearly half an hour stopped. The officers then exited the vehicle for a period and then returned and started the engine again. After around 2 hours of driving (which included several more stops), the vehicle arrived and stopped at the border with Slovenia.

The respondent described the location as an official border crossing between ITA-SLO. There were four Slovenian police officers with vehicles waiting when he exited the Italian police car. The respondent was then transported from the Italian car to a Slovenian police vehicle and driven into the Slovenian interior to what the respodent described as a “camp”. 

The respondent spent around 3 hours at the so-called “camp” and was then taken to a police station where he was held alongside three other people-on-the-move. Fingerprints were taken and, refering to the identification system, the Slovenian police told the respondent that it was not the first time that he was identified in Slovenian territory. Three or four months before the respondent had been caught by Slovenian police and removed to Croatia and then BiH. For the other three persons instead, it was the first time of being identified. 

The respondent expressed the intention to remain in Slovenia and claim asylum, even though he shared that he was also aware what was happening to him (having been chain pushed back on other occasions). Referring to this he stated:

They make me the same game before” 

In the Slovenian police stattion, the officers issued a paper to the four members of the group, where each person’s personal data was recorded. Then the group of four people was taken and loaded into a police vehicle (“close car”), driven by two Slovenian officers in a police uniform. 

The vehicle arrived near the border with Croatia and the group was unloaded by the Slovenian police and transferred to the Croatian police. The respondent was not able to establish the number of police forces around him, because they urged him to disembark quickly and with his head down. The officers reportdely shouted:

“Fast, fast!”

The group of four detainees were taken inside a Croatian police van and then transported into a Croatian police station. At the station they went through an identification process inside a room one by one. Each had their fingerprints taken and they were photographed and identified on police record (name, family name, and country of origin). 

In this station there were many other people-on-the-move in detention and the respondent noted the presence of at least three police vans and an Iranian family being held there. The respondent was then removed from the station and loaded into a police van. This was alongside the three people he had been detained with in Slovenia and another 6 persons from the Croatian police station. The respondent observed that at the same time other transit groups were being loaded into the back of other vans.

The van left and drove for approximately 4-5 hours, eventually arriving to the Croatian border with Bosnia-Herzegovina. Here there were Croatian police officers with dogs. The officers took some of the clothes and the bags that the people carried and set them on fire. The respondent alleges that during the violence that followed he was particularly targetted because the officers said they recognized him from a report video that he had given to international journalists which contained content about his experience the violence he faced along the route.

After the beating anf the burning of their possesions, the group was pushed back into Bosnian territory. The area in which they were pushed back meant they had to walk for around 3 hours, and reentered the city of Bihac from the north west direction.

Notes on previous pushback experience:

The respondent, who at the time of the interview was waiting in a squat in the city of Bihac, shares that he had tried the Game (border crossings) at least 10 times. All of these attempts had resulted in a pushback to Bosnia and Herzegovina.

On a first occasion, he tried the Game with a group of 100 people, the majority of which was traced by Croatian police and pushed back to BiH. In total, he was subjected to 4 removals from Croatia, 4 from Slovenia, and 2 from Italy. On another occasion, the first in which he was able to cross the Italian-Slovenian border, the group with which he was traveling (around 35 people) was captured by the Italian police in close proximity of a bus stop. 15 people had their asylum request observed and were able to remain Italian territory, while the others were sent back to Slovenia. Here, his younger brother was able to ask for asylum in Slovenia, while he and the rest of the group were removed to Croatia and then to BiH.