“They threw him around between the police officers and kicked and punched him with hands and feet”

  • Date and time: June 7, 2017 16:15
  • Location: Šapjane (close to the Slovenian border), Croatia
  • Coordinates: 45.4807097, 14.251020700000026
  • Push-back from: Croatia
  • Push-back to: Serbia
  • Demographics: 5 person(s), age: unknown , from: Afghanistan
  • Minors involved? Yes
  • Violence used: beating (with batons/hands/other), kicking
  • Police involved: 15 policemen from Croatia, all in uniform, 3 wearing masks
  • Taken to a police station?: yes
  • Treatment at police station or other place of detention: photos taken
  • Was the intention to ask for asylum expressed?: Unknown
  • Reported by: Rigardu

Original Report

On June 7th 2017, 5 people from Afghanistan, 4 of them minors, were caught in Sapjane, a croatian village close to the border to Slovenia. They were in a train container from Šid. The police found them at a border control, and they took 3 of them out and started to beat them. The 2 others saw this and tried to run away, but they were caught and the police put hand cuffs on them. There were about 15 policemen, 3 of them were wearing masks, the masked police officers were the ones who were doing the beating.

All were Croatian police and wearing uniforms. Then they asked who spoke English and one person told them that they spoke a little English, then police started to beat him up first. The interviewee describes that the police ‘played football with him’, they threw him around between the police officers and kicked and punched him with hands and feet. The police also beat him with full water bottles. Another person asked if he could go to a toilet and the police started to beat him and told him to shut up.

Afterwards, they were taken to a police station, where the police took pictures of them and told them that they would be sent to prison for 7 days. The interviewee describes that the 5 Afghans started to beat their heads against the wall in order to avoid being sent to prison, and subsequently they were deported to Serbia, without being sent to jail. When they got out of the police van at the Serbian border, the police beat them further and then let them go.