“one of my friends fell down, the police started beating him very hard with batons while he was on the ground yelling that they were going to release the dogs on him. I went back and took my friend under my arm and we ran away together, he was bleeding and so was I in my hands.”

  • Date and time: September 4, 2021 06:00
  • Location: Gornja Močila, Rakovica, Croazia
  • Coordinates: 45.023515, 15.513376
  • Pushback from: Croatia
  • Pushback to: Bosnia
  • Demographics: 80 person(s), age: 17, 17, the rest is under 30 years old , from: Afghanistan, Pakistan
  • Minors involved? Yes
  • Violence used: beating (with batons/hands/other), kicking, pushing people to the ground, exposure to air condition and extreme temperature during car ride, threatening with guns, gunshots, dog attacks, forcing to undress, destruction of personal belongings, reckless driving
  • Police involved: 20 Croatian policeman probably belonging to Interventna Jednica Policija (IJP), one police woman, dogs, van type VW CRAFTER PRISONER TRANSPORT
  • Taken to a police station?: no
  • Treatment at police station or other place of detention:
  • Was the intention to ask for asylum expressed?: Yes
  • Reported by: No Name Kitchen

Original Report

On August 1, 2021, a group of 80 people of Afghan and Pakistani nationality left Bihac, BiH on foot to cross the Croatian border and try the “game.”

The respondent says that while crossing road D1 someone must have seen them and called the police because there were many people trying to cross the road. The interviewee also reports that he saw a drone, which he assumes was belonging to the Croatian police force, flying over the group. After about 5 to 10 minutes around 10/12 police officers arrived accompanied by dogs, German shepherd type, shouting: “Don’t run, police! if you run I will free the dogs“. The respondent remembers that the arrival of the police was about 6 am on August 4th .

The respondent reports that he tried to run away for a while but that the police fired 4 shots and some warning shots into the air. “They screamed that if we didn’t stop they were going to release the dogs. I sat down. I was very scared. They told us to follow them to the road and in the meantime they were beating us because they were angry because of our attempt to escape. There were twelve policemen plus the dogs, two of them kept beating us with sticks on our backs.” The respondent reports that the officers were dressed in dark blue or black uniforms, and he recognized with certainty the uniform of the Croatian Interventna Jednica Policija (IJP).

The respondent reports that once they arrived near the road roughly 10/15 minutes later 3 vans arrived. The group was subsequently loaded in.  30, 25, and 25 people were put into each van which could regularly transport 6 to 8 people. The respondent reports that he told the officers that there were two minors in the group, asking that at least they would be allowed to formalize their asylum application but the police said no.

first a van arrived (according to the applicant’s descriptions corresponding to the model VW CRAFTER PRISONER TRANSPORT), we were on a dirt road. I waited about 15 minutes. I got into the first van, but while I was already inside I heard two other vans coming. You couldn’t breathe. The police pushed us all inside. We were shouting that there was no more room but they were beating us with batons and kept shouting – inside, inside! Go inside! Thirty people in a van that would carry six to eight. […] It was terrible, there was no window, everything was dark, we had no light, no lighter, it was impossible to breathe. They were driving very fast and jerky. They were doing it on purpose.”

The interviewee reports that after 40 to 45 minutes the van stopped. The officers said the van was having problems and got them off, all 30 of them. The respondent reports that the officers driving the van were from a different police force than the one that captured them. There were probably 3 officers per van (but the interviewee could only see the ones in his van, two men and one woman).

Once they were brought to the border side, the respondent described that the police burned their belongings and left the group members in a T-shirt and a pair of pants. After they threatened them with their dogs and forced them to run back over the border.

We waited two hours there. There I spoke to an officer and told him I am good and will wait quietly still, I asked politely not to steal and burn my clothes and backpack. The policeman told me that he would not burn my things. But after they took us to the border (approximate coordinates 44°46’09.7 “N 15°46’11.4 “E 44.769348, 15.769828) they stole everything and burned all our clothes anyway, even though they promised me they wouldn’t. They made us throw everything in a hole in the ground. Everything, they only left us with a t-shirt and pants. Not our shoes. Then they told us, you have 5 seconds, run, if you don’t run we will release the dogs. We all started running terrified but I was in too much pain.”


The interviewee reports that the group had to walk about 4 hours back to Bihac, all without shoes, many of them bleeding.